Natural stone tiles are made of Granite, Marble, Slate, Sandstone, Limestone, quartzite and more such products. With proper installation, followed with a quality sealing treatment and periodic cleaning, these tiles will give many years of satisfaction. Natural stone tiles are extremely durable and very easy to care for. The following guidelines will assure that your tiles give you many years of service.
Penetrating Sealers for Natural Stone
- All natural stone should have a penetrating sealer applied after installation
- There are many companies that make quality penetrating sealers that protect against stains without changing the color of the stone.
- Another option is color-enhancing sealers that offer both penetrating protection and brighten the color of the stone.
- Sealers vary from brand to brand in the way they perform. It is up to the individual to choose the product that best achieves the Finished look that is being sought.
- Make a test on left-over material before application of your chosen sealer to ensure compatibility.
- Clean all stone before sealing. Any smudge or stain could become permanent if sealers are applied over them.
- Penetrating sealers should be applied immediately after installation and the initial clean-up to ensure that no stains inadvertently become sealed in.
- Follow the sealer manufacturer’s recommendations for a good ?nish to your project.
Cleaning of Natural Stone
- Use pH-balanced cleaners or soap-less detergents and soft bristle brushes for daily cleaning. Immediately wipe all spills.
- Most sealer brands have special cleaning solutions applicable for natural stone.
- If heavy-duty cleaning is required, first try to solve with pH-balanced cleaners, which can include scouring cleaners and poultices that help extract the stain. Always test abrasive or untested cleaning solutions in an inconspicuous area to evaluate if it is suitable for the tile.
- If an acidic cleaner is deemed necessary, a light solution of sulfamic acid is the safest and most recommended in cleaning difficult stone or grout problems.
- Be sure to rinse the area well after cleaning.
Sealer Maintenance Schedule
- Follow the chosen sealing company’s recommendations for regular resealing of natural stone tile.
- This is usually once a year and requires a thorough cleaning beforehand.